10:30 am The 1st Visayas Blogging Summit has just started. I think I’m the only Mindanaoan here. I will be delivering a talk on the “Role of Bloggers as New Media.” My talk is scheduled for 11:30 am but the program started late.
10:35 am Mary Claire Bretina opens the summit. She is the IBS President.
Aileen Apolo – de Jesus talks about “Blogging 102: I Have a Blog, Now What?”
- In 2008, 4.80% of the Philippine population write blogs. Around 70% read blogs.
- “Blogs influence purchase more than social networks.”
- 1/2 of the online pop’n qualifies as blog readers.
- “Frequent blog readers say they trust blogs for purchase decisions.”
- Why, what, how do you blog?
- Content is king. Be original. Be consistent. Find your voice.
- Drive traffic.
- Add more technical skills.
- The secret sauce to blogging is PASSION.
11 am Mayor Cabilog is giving his Welcome Speech.
11:15 am Flow Galindez on “Blogging for Advocacy.”
- Crisis Blogs and Issue Blogs
- Hear the Call. Accept and Activate. Messenger. Objectives. Never stop and keep going.
- Some issues: poverty and hungry, education, gender equality, child moratality, maternal health, combat diseases, environmental sustainability, global partnership for devt
1:59 pm Tonyo Cruz talks about “Social Media and Citizenship.”
- Filipino bloggers have long taken action.
- In November 26, 2010, Filipino bloggers made history by signing the impeachment complaint against GMA.
- Social media was front and center to report during Ondoy and Pepeng.
- Social media shines brightest when we wield is as a community…
3:15 pm Jayvee Fernandez on Blogging Better: A Brief Discussion on Blogging Ethics.
- Being able to live up to the standards in order to push society forward.
- Am I contributing something useful?”
- Ask yourself: Is it something I would say face to face?
3:30 pm Estan Cabigas on “Selling the Best of the Philippines through Blogging”
- You must have a sense of place.
- Think local.
- Research and plan.
Apologies. I wasn’t able to catch the other speakers but I heard most of them were good.
Congratulations to the organizers, speakers, and participants of the very successful First Visayas Blogging Summit! 🙂